Courses essential to the success of a Troop!
Find out what you need to know to work with a troop!
Leader Prep courses:
Courses in the Leader Prep Series
- Are required for all new Leaders and Co-Leaders
- Introduce you to the basics of Girl Scouting – the Mission, Promise and Law
- Tell you who to contact for support
- Show you how Girl Scouting encourages girls to Discover themselves, Connect to others, and Take Action to make the world a better place
- Give you the basics of how to manage a troop
- Guide you in creating a safe environment for girls
- Help you plan meetings
Volunteers who complete the Leader Prep series within the first six months they are a Leader or Co-Leader can receive a $5 gift certificate to the GSEM Girl Scout Shop. Record completion of courses on a Leader Prep Series Tracking Card and bring it with supporting documentation to the GSEM Girl Scout Shop.
Online courses offered as a DVD
GSEM has produced a DVD, available from District Home Study Coordinators or Volunteer Development Managers (listed in every issue of the Lead & Learn) that includes the following:
Leader Prep Tote
- Girl Scouting 101
- Introduction to Girl Scouting
- Volunteer Essentials (resource that includes information on everything from what to do at your first meeting with girls to the application process for GSEM camp units)
- Safety Activity Checkpoints (resource that includes information specific to maintaining a safe environment for girls engaged in Girl Scout activities ranging from arts and crafts to horseback riding)
Volunteers who complete the first two courses in the series within the first year they are registered as a Leader or Co-Leader are eligible to purchase the Leader Prep Tote from a GSEM Girl Scout Shop. (This tote does not include a scarf, water bottle, printed resources)
Leaders can also receive three free patches which correspond to the three courses in the Leader Prep Series by showing their completion letter or learning log at one of the GSEM Girl Scout Shops.
Additional courses which prepare Leaders to work with a troop include:
- Insignia and awards courses (introduce Leaders to insignia and awards girls can earn through Girl Scouting)
- Leader-Parent Relationships
- Troop Trips